Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Thither Macbeth has gone to November

I arrived ten minutes late to rehearsal this evening to find the cast gathered in a circle. As I took my seat, I realized I had missed a monumentous announcement, so it was explained to me: Due to work commitments, we lost our Banquo, we still had not found our Donalbain, and since it was clear we needed to postpone the performances, we lost our Macbeth as well, since the actor was in from Los Angeles and was only in Massachusetts for the summer.

So we are recasting those roles and tentatively moving our our production to early to mid November depending on the availability of the space.

I still do not believe in the curse.

The remaining cast was invited to audition for the now open roles but I decided that I was sufficiently pleased with the ones I am already playing as they were sufficiently against the type of which I have been previously cast.

In the interim, it seems that the Lallygagging Players will be changing their name.

2 comments:

Douglas Eason said...

I would have loved to have been able to to postpone the last show I was in, but the directors and producers wouldn't allow it.
It created a massive amount of stress and made me hate performing arts for a short while.
In the long run I believe it's always better to hold off until a show is ready.

Ian Thal said...

Hi Rednose,

There wasn't really much of a choice here-- it's a new theatre company and it would be no good for its first show to have a Macbeth who has only had three weeks of rehearsal-- which would have been the situation had we found a new actor for the role immediately. I happen to have confidence in the vision of the director and the producer and I don't want this vision of theirs compromized by under-rehearsing.